The Institute of Marine Biology Biotechnolocy and Aquaculture (IMBBC) is based on the premises of the Hellenic Center for Marine Research in Crete, Greece. It is located 200m from the sea, and 15km away from Heraklion’s “Kazantakis” International Airport, right next to the CretAquarium.
Find your way to HCMR, by clicking on the map. For more information please view this HCMR Area Google map.
Map: All the above are shown in the HCMR Area, Hotels, Restaurants and Means of Transport Google Map
If you are looking for accommodation in Heraklion, you will have to reach the venue by public bus, departing from the central bus station. This will take approximately 20 minutes plus 10 minutes walk from the bus stop and will cost 2 euros per person.
Air Travel and Ground Transportation
- Chania Crete International airport “Ioannis Daskalogiannis” (CHQ) (RyanAir flights possible, NB: 165 km, away, it takes ca. 30 minutes from airport to the central bus station and 3 hours from Chania bus station to Heraklion bus station. It might be worth considering renting a car, as public transport is not convenient and can be mismatched with flight. Cars can be booked online and picked-up at the airport) – information on direct flights to Chania Airport
- Google flights: please search using the previously mentioned two-letter airport codes: HER and CHQ
Long distance buses operate regularly (i.e., every 30 minutes to 1 hour) on the route between Heraklion and HCMR. A bus stop to HCMR (ask for stop number 9 “Cretaquarium”) is situated on the south-west side of the airport. For more information please see the HCMR Area, Hotels, Restaurants and Means of Transport Google Map and the bus timetable from Heraklion to Agios Nikolaos and back. The bus company web site is available here.
Taxi from Heraklion Airport to HCMR
There are always many taxis at the airport. Alternatively, you can book a taxi online at http://www.taxi-crete.gr/book-taxi-crete (contact tel.: +30 6937 333 730). When making your booking, you must mention the phrase “ELKETHE – HCMR” (our research center) and your destination (e.g., Hotel Astir). This will get you a special discount fare of 25 euros from the airport to the ΗCMR or the Hotel (including taxes and airport & luggage charges). After filling in the online form, you should receive a confirmation e-mail within 2-10 hours, with all required information. All taxi-cars are Mercedes with English-speaking drivers.
Taxi from HCMR to Heraklion Airport
A taxi stand is situated right outside HCMR. In addition to http://www.taxi-crete.gr (+30 6937 33 3730 ) described above, Mr Vangelis Kalikakis can also be contacted at (+30 6980 82 3019, +30 6945 68 1694), and a local taxi company +30 28970 41343. The waiting period in front of the HCMR main entrance is 10 to 15 minutes and rides to Heraklion typically cost around 25 to 30 Euros.
Wireless internet access is available at the congress venue. Please ask for a password at the registration desk/secretariat.
Meals and light snacks/coffee breaks will be provided on-site (HCMR and CretAquarium buildings). For other restaurants in the area please visit the: HCMR Area, Hotels, Restaurants and Means of Transport Google Map.
A complete listing of a countries requiring a visa is available at the Greek Ministry of Affairs. Standard visa requirements for visiting a Schengen (EU except UK) country apply. You may be exempt from the airport transit visa requirement, if you:
- hold a valid or residence permit issued by a Schengen state;
- hold a visa valid for a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area, Canada, Japan or the United States ;
- hold a valid residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area ;
- hold a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Canada, Japan, Republic of San Marino, or the United States, that guarantees unrestricted right of return;
- are a family member of a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland ;
- hold a diplomatic passport
For visa invitation letter requests please contact Jason Papathanasiou (email@example.com).
Currency and Credit Cards
Euro is Greece’s currency. Major credit cards are widely accepted. However, as smaller taverns or restaurants, taxi, buses may operate as cash-only, it is advisable that you have some Euros with you upon arrival.
More general information can be found here: